Business Mantra News
- India hosted the ASEAN India Commemorative Summit 2018 being held in New Delhi on 25th & 26th Jan, 2018. The leader of 10 South Asian Countries Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Myanmar (Burma), Cambodia, Bruneiwere and Laos arrived in Delhi to attend the summit.
- The ASEAN Leaders were also honored as Chief Guests of Republic Day Parade on 26th January, 2018.
- The bilateral meetings were held and bilateral agreements were signed between Narender Modi and leaders of ASEAN nations on various areas of counter terrorism, security, trade and investment during the summit.
- This summit was having significance as it came at a time when India is shifting its strategy of regional policy from ‘Look East Policy’ to the New ‘Act East Policy’.
- The PM Narender Modi cleared that the regional security of the Indo Pacific region is the centric of India’s ‘Act East Policy’ and India was also expected steady and strong support from leaders of the ASEAN countries towards attaining the goal of regional security of common interests of India and ASEAN nations.
- The Prime Minister Narendra Modi had Bilateral Meetings with Myanmar’s State Counsellor Aung Sang Suu Ki.
- The major focus area of the Bilateral Meetings with the heads of ASEAN nations were the Maritime Cooperation and security, infrastructural connectivity and regional security of interest of Pacific Nations.
The ties between India and ASEAN nations towards regional security may deter China as it has continuously expending its military and economic assertiveness in the south Asian Region.