Business Mantra News
During the presentation of Budget 2018-19, the Finance Minister Arun Jaitley announced Ayushman Bharat, a National Health Protection Mission (AB-NHPM). Under this scheme, the Government will provide a cover of Rs.5.0 Lakhs per family per year and 10 Crore poor and unprotected families are targeted to be benefited via this scheme. Apart from health insurance cover people belonging to poor and vulnerable sections based on Socio Economic Caste Census (SECC) data, the Government has also proposed establishment of Health and Wellness Centers under this scheme.
On March 26, 2018, the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister officially approved this scheme.Director General of East Asia Department, Asian Development Bank (ADB) in Manila, Philippines)Indu Bhushan has been appointed as the Chief Executive officer of AB-NHPM.
The Ayushman Bharat Scheme is probably the world’sone of the largest Government funded health mission.
According to the official statement released by the concerned department, AB-NHPM would subsume the on-going centrally sponsored schemes- Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojna and the Senior Citizen Health Insurance Scheme.
Objective to launch AB-NHPM
- To provide benefit of health insurance to more than 10 crore families which means almost 50 Crore poor people will be covered under this scheme.
- It will provide universal health coverage andmake health services equitable, economical and reachable to poor and needy population of the country who do not get easy access to medical facilities.
- To promote sustainable health of every individual so that he can be helpful to the growth of economy of the country.
- To establish wellness and health centers, so that every needy could get fastest medical services.
Major Initiatives & features of AB-NHPM
- The primary initiative of this Scheme is Health Insurance Cover of Rs.5 Lakh to more than 10 crore families which means 50 Crore poor people will be covered under this scheme. There is no such conditions like family size and age with a view to ensure more and more availability of this scheme to every needful.
- One needs to pay annually Rs. 1000-1200 as premium for Ayushman Health Scheme.
- The health insurance given under this scheme will also cover pre and post hospitalization expenses.
- The people across the country would be benefited under this scheme.
- The beneficiaries would get benefits of this scheme after getting medical treatment from government as well as private hospitals of India which would be selected by the Government on empanelment.
- One can also claim tax rebate under section 80DD of Income Tax Act, 1961 for the amount which one pay for Ayushman Bharat Health Scheme.
- Ayushman Bharat Health Scheme is fully cashless scheme which means one need not pay to get medical treatment in any Empanelled government/private hospital who or his family member is covered under this scheme.
- Health and Wellness Centers will also be established by the Government under this scheme.
How to apply online for Ayushman Bharat Yojna (National Health Protection Scheme)
This scheme is proposed to be launched from April 1st, 2018 and from 1st April onwards, one will be able to apply online for this scheme.