Business Mantra : Faridabad
Government of India has announced the names of 20 cities to be developed as Smart Cities.While announcing, the Urban Development Minister, Mr. Venkaiah Naidu told that 20 cities would be developed in the first phase and this type of Smart City Development would be an ongoing process.
It was announced that to start with, a fund of Rs.51000 Crores has been allocated to develop these cities. 60% of the funds utilized for development of the cities, would be self generated by the cities itself by public private investment model and innovative investments delivery model.
The city to be developed would have a CEO of its own unlike Municipal Body. CEO would be responsible for overall development of the city in a time bound programme, raising of funds and execution of plans etc.
Principles for a Smart City:
- Provide Better Quality of Life with:
- Affordable Homes with all infrastructural facilities.
- 24 Hour supply of Power and Water.
- All kinds of Education Facility.
- Provide Good Investment Opportunities:
- Development of Industrial Zones with facility of Tax holiday.
- Development of IT Infrastructure, Digitization and E-governance.
- Providing Employment Opportunities:
- If good investment comes, there shall be better employment opportunities.
- Employment in such a way that movement of the work force be minimum i.e. nearest to the place of dwelling.
Names of the cities announced are Pune, Kochi, Ahmadabad, Jabalpur, Visakhapatnam, Solapur, Dhavangiri, Indore, New Delhi, Coimbatore, Kakinada, Belgaum, Udaipur, Jaipur, Guwahati, Chennai, Ludhiana, Bhopal, Bhubaneshwar and Surat.
Amongst these cities Madhya Pradesh got the maximum benefit with three cities and there is no city from 23 states in this first announcement. Government intends to announce 100 more cities by the end of 2017.